Themes of the symposium will include:
- place, the creative act, and placelessness
- archives and place
- creative approaches to ‘documenting’ and ‘recording’ acts, lives, spaces, and voices
- radical possibilities of archives
- the archive as sedentary, inactive, homely; the archive as lively, energetic, exilic
- the voice and exile; voices of exile; voices in exile
- the artistic act and the archive; archives of the ephemeral
- view the Archive of Exile exhibition at Bank Street Arts, Sheffield
- discuss the work and its themes with participating artists and their academic collaborators
- network and engage in formal and informal discussion with other professionals involved in curatorship, archiving, art in various media, and collaborative research.
To express an interest in attending: Attendance is free; there is no charge to attend this event and lunch will be provided. Numbers are limited and we are keen to achieve a broad range of participants. If interested, please send your name, email address, any affiliation, and your background (eg artist, academic, curator, archivist, etc) to Matt Collins, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th June 2011 at the latest.